Any well-equipped and structured company can fabricate components with established design documentation, but what happens if a company requests a part for which there is no design history?
What choices are available to you if you don’t have the required documentation? Design documentation may be difficult to locate, gone missing, damaged, unfinished, or somehow non-existent.
These outdated, old parts can still be regenerated for a new use even while their design documentation is discarded. While it may appear straightforward to re-engineer such parts, doing so properly and consistently might involve a number of challenges.
Remarkably, we can reduce a process that used to take days to just a few hours thanks to our technical knowledge, and extensive experience.
Reason for reverse engineering seals and gaskets
History is a tremendous source of information. Past designs are an excellent source of design inspiration and engineering expertise for future concepts. Reverse engineering allows an existing product or component to be tweaked, enhanced, or redesigned into something new like a custom design.
- One rationale for the necessity for reverse engineering is the requirement to replace parts that have become outdated and are no longer accessible from the original manufacturer, or that have become worn and damaged.
- Another rationale is cost. Several OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) regard some parts as proprietary and charge outrageous prices for them, despite the fact that they are not.
Process of reverse engineering the gaskets
Identification and selection of materials
Our technical experts have extensive experience assisting clients in identifying materials for particular applications. EMI Seals and Gaskets’ engineers will examine your sample components, measure their qualities, and evaluate your application to identify the best and most cost-effective material(s) for the task. We also provide a materials guide for your reference to assist you in getting started with material choices.
Measurement and documentation of parts
Our in-house coordinated measuring machine is used to collect precise measurements from the sample product. Based on the measurements, a fully dimensional model or CAD design is subsequently created. Further investigation is performed to confirm that the right standards and tolerances have been allocated. The comprehensive CAD drawing is subsequently transferred to our in-house CNC machines.
Precision Part Manufacturing
Once your part geometry has been captured, it will never be lost and maybe correctly replicated at any time. Our competent technical staff will utilise this information, as well as an understanding of your application and material attributes, to pick and carry out the best manufacturing procedure for your item. Your gaskets will be produced in-house utilising cutting-edge technology and procedures to ensure uniformity and precision. Inspection is performed to guarantee conformity, and the quality components are subsequently shipped to the client. This, together with the engineering drawings, 2D manufacturing documentation, and 3D model of your component, will be sent to you.
Benefits of Reverse Engineering
- Reverse engineering is commonly used to recreate components for manufacture, but it is also used to obtain a better knowledge of how parts work.
- It may be used to meticulously revise or rebuild the scanned file in order to remove defects and give the best tolerances for manufacturing.
- The use of existing parts in reverse engineering gaskets offers the potential to cut design costs.
- It has a proven track record of success with the initial design and is a time-saving design technique.
Our services in addition to reverse engineering
The approach mentioned above enables us to support our clients in ways other than reverse engineering capability.
We can also assist you with
- Providing a complimentary custom design service to transform your idea or basic drawing into a cutting-ready product.
- Document hand-cut or custom-fabricated R&D parts quickly;
- Control quality with consistent, operator-independent component inspections; and
- Design and rapidly prototype novel concepts.
We collaborate with you to create and supply the seal package that is most suited to your application. Even if your item has been damaged, we can build a better replacement gasket for you, giving material suggestions, samples, and prototypes for the product design and development process. We can make sure you have the gasket you need for your equipment to function well.
EMI Seals and Gaskets Ltd have experience of working with old components that have been used for many years. These parts are frequently worn out and need to be replaced, but the original designs have been lost. Maybe the component’s design features should be applied to the modern-day corresponding product.
Hands-on design and engineering expertise are essential for producing a precise representation of reverse-engineered parts, which is where we come in.
Are you ready to discover the best reverse engineering solutions for your operations? Contact our experts